Follonica is a lively seaside town just 10 km from our resort. Located in the center of the homonymous gulf that extends in front of’the Island of Elba, between the promontory of Piombino to the North and Puntala to the South.
The area was certainly already inhabited during Prehistoric and Etruscan times, it gained importance due to the processing of iron from the island of Elba.
It was founded in 800's when, Grand Duke Leopold II decided to move the Valpiana foundries to the coast to reduce transportation costs. Foundries also produced good quality decorative pieces such as the banister of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence and the fountain, now located along the course of Arcidosso. Its casting tradition is now represented by the Village – Factory, largely restored, with a neoclassic dramatic gate in cast iron. The foundry was owned by Italsider over the years, and closed in 1962.
The most significant monument of the city is the Church of St. Leopold built between 1836 and 1841 and named after the Grand Duke Leopold. The building occupies a prominent place in the history of Italian architecture for the use of metal, not only for decorations, but for its structure as well. The church has a Latin cross. The entrance is marked by a colonnade of cast iron whose slenderness recalls the Gothic style.
Do not miss the original Iron Museum, with various models and castings, while art lovers, will be a pleasure to visit the Pinacoteca Civica Amedeo Modigliani.
Among the popular events in town the Carnival, Luminara and the boats of August accompanied by fireworks.